In the year of 1990 the City was selected as enclave area for the disarmament of combatants of the Nicaraguan Resistance, the end product of the war in the 80’s. In the village of El ALMENDRO were placed to benefit demobilized and their families with plots of an average size of 50 manzanas. This was framed in the process of reintegration and reconciliation promoted by the then President Violeta Barrios de Chamorro.
The town was Port of Mountain in the early centuries of Spanish domination, pierced by the river current to reach Tepenaguasapa Lake Nicaragua. In baboons and mosquitoes 1709 expedition captured the colonial ship “Champagne King” in the very waters of the lake.
In more contemporary history of the municipality, the Raicilla played an important role since it was used as currency to current negotiations to buy – for sale, rubber also marketed over the past century in large quantities, accounting for 13% of country’s total exports. Thus Nicaragua at that time became one of the leading exporters of rubber in the world, before they develop the Asia market, even during World War II was significant production, which declined after the year 1949.
El Almendro Township for its geographical position and lack of land routes to the departmental capital San Carlos, Rio San Juan, six years ago was administratively served in a haphazard manner by the government departments in other departments and municipalities (Juigalpa Branch, New Guinea, etc.) this situation did not allow the City Council at that time to achieve comprehensive development. Currently most of the ministries are being served by the departments of Río San Juan. The municipality of El ALMENDRO according to the Administrative Law Division Policy published in October 1989 and April 1990, part of the Department of Rio San Juan and is located in the northern sector of the department. It was founded on July 4, 1974.
The head of the municipality of the same name, El Almendro, previously a town rich in natural resources such as rubber (rubber) and the radicle, exploitable and important products in the economy of the region. The municipal seat is located at 282 kms. the city of Managua, capital of the Republic of Nicaragua and 91 miles from its headwaters Department San Carlos, Rio San Juan.